Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A New Life

Three days ago, I witnessed the birth of my grandson. I had never seen a birth (in person) from that angle before. It was quite the experience. A wonderful, highly emotional, awesome, breath-taking experience.

My son called at 4:45 am to say Amber's water broke about an hour before. I told him that I would be there as soon as I could. I showered, woke Megan up and we were on our way by 5:15. It's a 15-20 minute drive from our house to the hospital. And if you read my last blog, you'll remember that we were in the midst of a 2-day snowstorm. Lots and lots of snow. We were still not even halfway there when Matt called again. Amber had gone from 4 centimeters dilated all the way to 10 in just 45 minutes. Since I was having to drive much slower than normal, I told Matt that I would get there as soon as I could...safely of course. He called about 10 minutes later to ask where I was at now. I was 1/4 mile from the exit. I could see the hospital. It seemed to be taking forever to get there. He said that Amber was about ready to push but that they would try to wait for me.

It took me 35 minutes to make that drive. It's amazing how many red lights you catch when you are in a hurry. Megan laughed at me the whole drive since I was yelling at lights and the snow and everything else that was getting in my way of getting to that hospital.

We parked, we ran, we made it to their room at 5:53. And watched a miracle. At 6:08 am, Chase Ryan entered this world, 5 weeks early. He weighed 4 pounds 12 ounces and was 19 1/4 inches long. He has dark hair and dark eyes and is just perfect.

To Amber and Matt....I thank you for allowing me to be a part of that special moment. It was amazing. And thank you for that beautiful grandson.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment