Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Dreaded Minivan

Today my husband had to take the minivan to work. Oh....my.....gosh! Just horrible! I had to keep his car today because it needed a new windshield and me, being the wonderful wife that I am, set up the appointment for them to come to our house. So....he gets (gasp) the minivan!!

When we only had two kids, our car was just fine. It worked well for us. But in the back of my mind, I wanted a minivan. My husband, of course, did NOT want a van. "Life is over if we get a van"- that's what he whined to me every time I mentioned it. After our third child, our little 5-seater car suddenly became very, very cramped. Now, my husband did have a truck that he drove to work. As a stay-at-home mom, I was the one who had to cram all three kids in the backseat, constantly telling (yelling at-same thing) them to keep their hands to themselves, to stop bugging each other, etc.... My husband, for the most part, didn't have to deal with that frustration. He had his truck. He didn't see the need for anything bigger.

Well, one day when the kids and I were out doing errands, the need for something bigger was never more obvious. As we were driving along, the kids doing their best to annoy each other, and doing a good job of it too, I heard Melissa yell out: "Mom...Matt is looking out MY window!!". That did it. Told the hubby that either we get a van or the kids were gonna have to go! No other option.

It took a few months but I finally got my van. Three rows of seats so no one had to touch. And if the kids annoyed me too much, I could always put them all in the very back row. Far, far away from me! Aahhh!! Life was good.

That first van was bought back in 1996 and we have had two others since then. I love my van. And until all three kids are out of the house and gone, I plan on keeping this one.

Sorry, Stan. But that's life!

1 comment: