Friday, May 1, 2009

What's In A Name

I have a sister , Gena, who thinks it's her job to nickname everyone in the family. That's what she does. And she does it very well. She gave each of my kids a nickname. She would wait until she was around them for awhile and then say....so and so looks like so and so. It was very cute and sweet, unless you are one of my kids.

With Melissa, we called her by the nickname for years. She liked it and we liked it. Everyone called her that name. Then she started middle school and that was the end of that. We got "The Look" if we dared to call her that name, especially in front of her friends. So we had to get out of the habit of doing it. It's not easy, but we did it. I would tell you what that name was, but I'm afraid she will hurt me....and I really want to keep seeing my granddaughter.

She gave Matt the nickname "Bud". And even though we called him that on occasion, it never really stuck on a long term basis. He never really cared what we called him. "Hey You" worked just as well as anything else.

With Megan, she gave her the nickname Magoo. Actually at first, it was Mega Magoo. And even now, fifteen years later, we still call her Magoo. Gena is the one who does it the most. And I think for the most part, Megan loves it.

I think it's funny that Gena loves to give out these nicknames. But if you were to call my sister by her real name, she would absolutely hurt you!! I would tell you what her real name is, but I really want to keep seeing Gena's granddaughter too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment